Course Open (updated 15 September at 08:51)
History

The Club was founded in 1887 at Seaford Head on what is now the course of Seaford Head Golf Club.  The Seaford Club moved to its present Blatchington location in 1907 using a new course designed by J H Taylor with a length of 5,814 yards and a bogey of 81.  Now it is 6,546 yards par 69 and the SSS is 71.  The Club History Book gives a full and fascinating account of the first one hundred years from 1887.

 

Second in the March monthly medal in 1888 was J F Farncombe with a score of 131-40-91.  His handicap was cut to 15 by the end of the season.  By contrast he just beat G B Johnson in the same medal who scored 93-Scratch-93.

There must have been some interesting conversations about handicaps that day!

A long driving competition in 1893 was won with a drive of 199 yards.  This was before the invention of the rubber cored ball in 1904.

 
 

In May 1896 an exhibition match between J H Taylor (Open Champion) and J H Kirkaldy (St Andrews) resulted in a win for J H Taylor – both players had 70’s in the afternoon. 

Over the two rounds that day 
J H Taylor had thirteen 3’s!

In 1897 two Seaford members took part in the Irish Amateur Championship – the weather was exceptionally wet and a hole at the 14th was in the middle of a small lake.  It is recorded that the ball of Mr. Sydney Fry, a Seaford player off scratch, persisted in floating which hindered it from reaching the bottom of the hole!


In April 1898 James Braid visited Seaford to play the new Club professional Jack White in an exhibition match. 

Within a few years both had won the Open.

On 6th November 1956 Miss Alida Dormer purchased the freehold of the Club House and course and leased back the  course to the Club for 99 years at a rent of £300 per year. A private company (Seaford Golf Club Limited) was incorporated to take the lease of the course.

Miss Dormer made alterations and additions to the Club House and the remaining rooms on the first floor were converted into bedrooms for residents.

This was the beginnings of The Dormy House as we know it today.